Photo

Sometimes Dry Firing You Gun Is Good

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SmokePole

SmokePole
  • Admin
  • 3,113 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Deer, Hog, Turkey and anything else legal.<br />Freshwater Fishing and Golf

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

Sometimes Dry Firing You Gun is Good

I was always taught never to dry fire a gun. This was due to the damage that may occur to the firing pin and/or springs. So I was quite amazed when I read an article in Outdoor Life that encouraged dry fire. After reading the article I realized that there were some very good points made. I am rewriting what I read using my definitions.

NOTE: I strongly recommend you use something to cushion the firing pin when you dry fire. You may want to purchase one of those non-firing cartridges that absorbs the shock of the firing pin when dry firing. You can also use a cartridge that has already been fired. Just glue a thin piece of rubber over the primer. A piece of wide rubber band is excellent, but make sure it’s still there when you finish and not in the gun somewhere. For the old side hammer type muzzleloaders, an empty .22 shell can be placed over the nipple to avoid smashing the end and avoiding a mushroom effect.

1 – Most if not all of us have been told to squeeze your trigger until the gun goes off and have it be a total surprise. This is still very true, but that may not be all there is to it.

After using you gun(s) for awhile you should have a pretty good idea where the sear is going to break (fire). So now get behind your gun and squeeze until it goes click. Keep repeating this until it is burned into your muscle memory. Many guns can be adjusted for a stronger or weaker break point. I recommend a gunsmith do this. Too week a break point and a weapon could discharge with the slightest jar or bump.

2 – Got a flinch problem – Try this..
Maybe when you fire a weapon you get a resulting strong kick, it hurt! So now when you shoot you flinch before the gun goes off, some of you may even close your eyes.

So look down the sights/scope and dry fire your weapon. If you have the problem – yep – you’re gonna flinch. If the crosshairs move even a little – yep – you got a flinch. All this is a built in anticipation of the weapon firing with the resulting kick. Keep practicing until you are steady. Remember - Squeeze the trigger.

3 – Now about that miss to the right or left. This may be because of trigger pull with your finger. Some of us use the tip of the finger and some may use the first joint. Makes no difference. It’s the pressure we exert. First make sure you are using you finger to squeeze the trigger and not a wrist, lower arm muscle or elbow pull. You can move the gun to the right with a pull (lefties will go left) and some of us will actually push, resulting with a left (pushed) shot.
So instead of looking down the sights; take your head off the gun. Go through your shooting process and observe the end of the gun barrel. It will tell you if you pull or push.
If you have the problem, just keep practicing until it’s solved.

Once you solve your problem, you will begin to harvest more game with more clean kills. 

468 x 60 Hunting / Optics Banner

#2 stlhunr

stlhunr
  • Members
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting, Camping.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:53 AM

My Daughter has Snap Cap practice cartridges for her rifles. She practices loading, unloading and dry firing on the kitchen table...while aiming at a target placed on our fence in the back yard. Practice makes perfect... :D