2004 v twin

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 BIG BUCK BOY

BIG BUCK BOY
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

I have a 2004 kawasaki prairie 700 4x4. first off my battery is dead but thats not the issue. the issue im having is that i had it sitting for over a year due to bad battery, but now when i try to start it it will not run, i can spray starter fluid in carb it will start up burn that off than die. if i dump a little gas right in the carb it will start run but when i give it gas it dies.. is there anyone near myrtle beach that could take a look at it and maybe fix it? im really short on money but if anyone has any ideas or could give some free time (drink a few) i would greatly appreciate it! thanks alot!!

468 x 60 Hunting / Optics Banner

#2 bushmstr02

bushmstr02
  • Our Gang
  • 2,278 posts
  • Interests:Bow Hunting & anything outdoors , classic trucks & restoration / body work , XBOX 360 !

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:01 AM

try changing the fuel filter , letting gas sit for a long period of time will turn it into like turpentine and stop up the filter . I just went through this with my bmw that sit for to years , had to change the pump , filter an put fresh gas in it before it would run .

#3 HopnCat

HopnCat
  • Our Gang
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

The place that serviced my arctic cat swears by that statron additive when you use unleaded fuel. I keep it in all my equipment now and haven't had any problems.

Hop

#4 BIG BUCK BOY

BIG BUCK BOY
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

its getting fuel just not into carbs to motor... i dont wanna mess with carbs and mess them up.

#5 ithica db

ithica db
  • Members
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:To many to list anything but work

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

Carb rebuild if you let it sit drain gas and run all gas out of carbs and it will work fine next time. Easy to say but sometimes you plan to use it next week and three years latter you have a problem. Life always gets in the way

#6 BIG BUCK BOY

BIG BUCK BOY
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

Thats my problem, i know nothing about carbs... well atleast on atvs.... i took a look at them and they have alot of hoses and cables hooked to them. im gonna try to spray some cleaner in there hope it fires

#7 rthomas4

rthomas4
  • Members
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, farming for deer, and running deer with hounds. I live to hunt and hunt to live.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

Take an air compressor with a nozzle on the hose and after you take the fuel lines loose from the carbs, blow the air into the carbs and then blow air into the fuel lines. Sometimes old fuel will gum up and the air will blow it loose and then it will burn when fresh fuel gets past the gummy stuff. Also, take the spark plugs out, and clean 'em up or replace 'em. Old fuel will foul the plugs and prevent them from firing properly. BTW, it won't hurt to add a good quality fuel additive (not gumout or STP, but something that isn't just kerosene) to the gas, Lucas or SeaFoam are good products.

Edited by rthomas4, 21 April 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#8 BIG BUCK BOY

BIG BUCK BOY
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

i puped out the old gas cleaned the carbs (without air just cleaner) and put new gas in and also changed the plugs. it will start and run with choke on but any gas at all it dies. a guy told me its a clogged jet. any ideas?

#9 Deb

Deb
  • Our Gang
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

The have really small jets that you probably need to clean out manually by using a little wire or they make a jet cleaning tool with a bunch of different sizes.

#10 rthomas4

rthomas4
  • Members
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Deer hunting, farming for deer, and running deer with hounds. I live to hunt and hunt to live.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

The air compressor nozzle might blow out the jets if you try it. I had a similar problem with a John Deere lawn tractor, and the compressed air worked on it.

#11 SmokePole

SmokePole
  • Admin
  • 3,113 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Deer, Hog, Turkey and anything else legal.<br />Freshwater Fishing and Golf

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

I think the carb is definitely gummed up. It happens to my generator and small engines. I try to run them out of gas after each use. You can also try running some carb cleaner when you get it started using the choke (try disconnecting the fuel hose at the gas tank and filling it with cleaner). The choke allows a lot more gas for initial start up and restricts the amount of air intake. In a sense you are flooding the engine to get it to run. So something is working. Without taking the carb off and soaking in in carb cleaner this is about all you can do.
Does the vehicle have a fuel bowl on/under the carb? If so - that could also be the problem - varnish has caused a stuck float (closed) and restricting the gas flow.

Are you still in the MB area? If so, I may be able to come and check it out?

#12 BIG BUCK BOY

BIG BUCK BOY
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:07 AM

well i took the carbs off today and put them in a gallon of carb soaker so in a day or so ill blow all the gunk out. its nasty what ethanal is doing to motors!

#13 rthomas4

rthomas4
  • Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

What's really disgusting is ethanol is the number one reason for higher overall grocery costs, and keeping gas prices high while reducing fuel mileage. Especially, upsetting when it takes 1 1/2 gallons of gasoline to produce 1 gallon of ethanol!!!!!!!!!! Then to think it was only a few years ago that deer corn was about $2.00 a bushel compared to last year's $8.00 for a 40 lb bag!!!!

#14 ithica db

ithica db
  • Members
  • 699 posts
  • Interests:To many to list anything but work

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:01 PM

None of which is about gas saving it's about stabilizing gas. They had a cancer causing stabilizer that had to be fazed out and corn took the place.
It's all good if you are a corn farmer, it would be nice to see the farms come back to meet demand. Most where cheated out of business or the government paid them not to farm.

#15 BIG BUCK BOY

BIG BUCK BOY
  • Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:22 PM

well i blew out all of the jets and put everything back together and still wont run! im stumpped!! its getting gas to the bowl, the jets are clear, im just lost!!