• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BGH

BGH
  • Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Salt Water Fishing, Soccer and Cycling

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hey guys, its been a while. I have been gone from SC for exactly 5 years. I miss hunting near Awendaw, with everyone.

This past week, I had the opportunity to hunt with an old friend in Forsyth, GA for their pre-rut. The game cameras were showing some really nice bucks. I was hopefull to be able to try to rattle one in.

We started hunting Saturday evening, saw nothing...just squirrels. Same result on Sunday morning and Sunday evening. Monday morning the temperature dropped and the woods came alive. I saw three does moving through heavy timber and could not get a shot. Monday night I had a 60 yard shot at a single doe and put some meat in the freezer. Tuesday morning we woke to heavy rain. We decided to skip the hunt, slept in and went to Waffle House for a big breakfast. The rain continued to pour and bring in colder temps until earlier afternoon. The rain broke at 2pm. I decided to convince my bud to head into the woods early. We left to go to our various spots.

I was hunting a tripod overlooking a couple thick wooded areas, with very small shooting lanes cut in-between. I was told to have my gun on the ready at all times, as the deer slipped through this area headed to three different food plots in the area. I sat down at 2:45pm and set out my gear. I grabbed a drink of water and decided to lightly hit the grunt tube, to help mask any noise I made. A few minutes later I lighty tried to use my rattle bag. Less than 5 minutes later I see antlers coming through the wooded area. I get my gun up and have my grunt tube ready. I grunt and I try to stop him, but he won't stop. I hear noise as he is walking through the woods, so I know he is still in the area. I figure he will come down wind and step out behind me. Sure enough he shows up directly behind a pine 30 yards behind me. He is peering around the tree and trying to see where the rattling is coming from, he finally stepped out from behind the tree enough to see his vitals and I let the .300WSM bark. He kicked and ran off into the thick stuff.

I waited for what seemed like an eternity, it was actually only 5 minutes. I climbed down and went to look for sign. Within a few seconds, I found a half dollar size clump of bright red blood with bubbles (lung shot). Decided to give it another 5 minutes. Couldn't initially find the trail, finally found a few spots of blood. Starting tracking them through a deer trail until I came to a four wheeler trail. Then I got worried as the trail disappeared. I decided to cross the road and continue on the trail, right decision, as I quickly picked up the blood trail again. This time thicker and heavier. I came around the corner and I found a spot where you could tell he laid down. Kept tracking another few turns and there he was.

The biggest Whitetail I have ever taken! Taxidermist estimates him to be in the low 130's. Tpyical 8, with a 1.5 inch kicker to make him a 9 pointer.

I hope everyone is well! I miss hanging out around the campfire with you guys! Have a successful 2012!!!

Here are the photos...enjoy!

Logan (aka BGH)

Attached Files

Edited by BGH, 09 November 2012 - 11:30 AM.

468 x 60 Hunting / Optics Banner

#2 YoungLady34

YoungLady34
  • Our Gang
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Hog hunting, deer hunting, turkey hunting, geocaching, camping, fishing, scouting.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Cool! a great hunt, and a great deer!

#3 Deb

Deb
  • Our Gang
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Congrats! Nice deer! :clap: Hope he didn't have to ride in the Saab. :003:

#4 BGH

BGH
  • Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Congrats! Nice deer! :clap: Hope he didn't have to ride in the Saab. :003:

I still have that photo! He rode out of the woods on a Honda Rancher and to thr processor on a trailer behind my bud's Chevy Trailblazer.I no longer have the Saab, I have had four vehicles since then. My current is a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is a little more hunting friendly.

#5 SmokePole

SmokePole
  • Admin
  • 3,259 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Deer, Hog, Turkey and anything else legal.<br />Freshwater Fishing and Golf

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

NICE BUCK - GOOD STORY - HAPPY YOU FOUND YOURS - I DIDN'T

#6 BGH

BGH
  • Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

NICE BUCK - GOOD STORY - HAPPY YOU FOUND YOURS - I DIDN'T

Smokepole, I read your story. That sucks bud! Good luck the rest of the season!

#7 bushmstr02

bushmstr02
  • Our Gang
  • 2,335 posts
  • Interests:Bow Hunting & anything outdoors , classic trucks & restoration / body work , XBOX 360 !

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

great looking deer , congrats , gonna be hard to ever beat that one !

#8 BGH

BGH
  • Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

great looking deer , congrats , gonna be hard to ever beat that one !

Thanks. That is why he is at the taxidermist!

#9 BGH

BGH
  • Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Officially dry scored 127 5/8th!

#10 SC.CRAB

SC.CRAB
  • Top Crab
  • 1,709 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing