Photo

Nice 10 Point

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Akers

Akers
  • Members
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Paintball, College Football, ATV's and Dirtbikes.

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:05 PM

I shot this buck last Saturday the 18th in Laurens County SC.

Attached Files

468 x 60 Hunting / Optics Banner

#2 Deb

Deb
  • Our Gang
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

Nice deer!! Congrats! 038.gif

#3 SnakeHuntress

SnakeHuntress
  • Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:08 PM

Congrats... very nice buck! How wide was his spread?

#4 Deadfall

Deadfall
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

That is a beautiful buck good going!

#5 Bad Faulkner

Bad Faulkner
  • Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:17 PM

Outstanding!

#6 Akers

Akers
  • Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (SnakeHuntress @ Oct 22 2008, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats... very nice buck! How wide was his spread?

21 1/2" Inside width

I'm getting him scored after the 60 days that is required. I'm thinking around 138 or so after deductions. I'll let you guys know if you want. Thanks for the comments.

Edited by Akers, 22 October 2008 - 03:48 PM.

#7 tcrank

tcrank
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:00 PM

nice buck! keep us posted on the scoring

#8 natureboy

natureboy
  • Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:05 PM

That's a great deer ! Tell us the story!! theres gotta be a good one(story) deer like that don't just step in front of a rifle!

#9 Akers

Akers
  • Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:32 AM

No problem I will keep you guys updated on the score.

Well itís me and my uncle that really hunt the land (that we know of). We spent some time getting it ready to hunt. Fixing stands, planting food plots and clear cutting some of the land (he did most of the work though). We have seen some nice buck tracks and another guy we know had some pictures of this buck on his camera. My uncle took last week off to hunt for this buck but never saw him. So now comes Friday the 17th and I planned to go to the Clemson football game but really had hunting on the brain. I called my friends and told them I wanted to hunt. They gave me a hard time (like always) but said "Ok whatever man go hunt". So I get up early, drive to my land, and head to the stand that we just fixed a few days before because some of the wood was rotten. So Iím now in my stand about 6:45 or so and ready for the sun to come up. Like always I fell asleep a few times off and on until the sun was up good. A power line runs down the middle of our land and thatís where the stand sits. To my left is a food plot and to my right is a food plot that runs along the power line trail. I can see about 350 yards down the power lines until they run into a field that is owned by someone else. I felt that the weather was good because it just rained the day before was partly sunny and about 52 degrees. So far this year most of the days I went to hunt we had a bad breeze and that morning it was just a lite breeze in my face which was perfect. So an hour goes by and I've seen just about everything but a deer at this point. I didnít eat breakfast so I was hungry and I had to pee which didnít help me any. I told myself if I donít see anything by 9:30 or so I was getting down (I had other stuff to do that day). About 9:25 a doe came out of the woods to my right and Iím thinking great another stupid doe. So I take my rifle out of my lap (Marlin 30 30) and look at her through the scope. Now Iím thinking to myself do I want to deal with her, I have stuff to do, I really want a buck and as Iím looking at her thinking about all of this stuff this buck stepped out of the woods behind her. I took a sec, looked at him with both eyes and back to the scope I went. He was about 100 yards away and a 30 30 isnít the most powerful weapon out there so in about a 4 sec time span I thought calm down (heart was racing), shoot straight and shoot so he donít run off. After all of that I took a shot for the neck. BOOM down he went without even taking a step. He was moving like he wanted to get up so I put another round in the chamber and shot him in the neck again. I then got down and headed that way (real fast) as I got closer I couldnít believe how big he really was. Needless to say I was excited and happy I didnt get out of the stand. I then called for help to get him out of the woods. Hope that didnt bore you to much.

Edited by Akers, 23 October 2008 - 08:39 AM.

#10 natureboy

natureboy
  • Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:46 AM

That was a great story! Congrats on a wonderful buck & an exciting hunt.

#11 Akers

Akers
  • Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (natureboy @ Oct 23 2008, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was a great story! Congrats on a wonderful buck & an exciting hunt.

Thanks a lot NB. I hope to have him in a magazine sometime soon.

#12 Maq Attaq

Maq Attaq
  • Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:40 PM

Great Buck.....there was a post here a few weeks ago looking for good pictures of Bucks for a magazine article. if you search, I'm sure you can find it...Congrats again and way to stay in the stand!!!!

#13 Akers

Akers
  • Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE (Maq Attaq @ Oct 27 2008, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great Buck.....there was a post here a few weeks ago looking for good pictures of Bucks for a magazine article. if you search, I'm sure you can find it...Congrats again and way to stay in the stand!!!!

Thanks....I found the post.

#14 12Gauge

12Gauge
  • Members
  • 848 posts
  • Interests:Family, Friends, Hunting, Fishing and Watching Sports on TV

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:10 AM

what happened to the picture? I didn't get a chance to see it.

#15 Akers

Akers
  • Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:01 PM

Not sure what happend to the picture. Here is another one. I can't edit my post or I would fix it.